June 5, 2012

Primavera Sound (II)

Thursday: Superday 

Here we go with the best hours I could spend in the festival. By that day, all the shows were played at Parc del Fòrum (we had to be wearing our festival wristband at all times).

It was 5 p.m. and I was listening to Doble Pletina, a Spanish twee-pop group from Barcelona, which didn't disappoint me at all in live. Of course, they played their debut record that became a classic recently, Música Para Cerrar Las Discotecas (meaning "Music For Closing Discos"). This is an odd title, taking into account the festival was just beginning, don't you think so? Since they released this album, their legend has done nothing but expands and gathers speed.

Música para cerrar las discotecas by Doble Pletina on Grooveshark


Archers of Loaf were playing not far from where I was, so I had no excuse for not staying there and seeing their show. With their unruly sound, their sharp guitars and teasing melodies they were the darling of the indie world in the mid'90s. I saw them live recently in another festival, so I preferred to focus on other bands.

Dead Red Eyes by Archers of Loaf on Grooveshark


I keep on walking to see Lee Ranaldo live (ex-member of SonicYouth), leaving us fascinating with this distinctive guitarist.

It was still 10 p.m. when one of the most expecting outfits of the day were on stage: Death Cab for Cutie. They hadn't visited Spain since they published Plans (and this was around 2005) thus, the expectation was maximum. And well, I have to say that for me it was finally disappointing. I love them, especially for their lyrics. But definitely it wasn't their best day: they faced technical audio problems while they were playing Doors Unlocked and Open and even Ben Gibbard (the lead vocalist) suddenly started playing the drums for fifteen minutes. I was like WTF?! So, yes… that was my first disappointment of the festival.

Doors Unlocked and Open by Death Cab for Cutie on Grooveshark
I Will Follow You Into the Dark by Death Cab for Cutie on Grooveshark


After the band from Seattle, it was the time for Beirut who played all their hits such as Vagabond, Nantes or Santa Fe. We've talked about Beirut many times in this blog (clik here), so I will only add that it was a pleasure to see their cute singer, Zach Condon, live! 

Vagabond by Beirut on Grooveshark 
Nantes by Beirut on Grooveshark
Santa Fe by Beirut on Grooveshark


At the same time, Wilco was playing in the opposite part of the showground one of the most perfect gigs at this year's festival

 I Might by Wilco on Grooveshark 
 Impossible Germany by Wilco on Grooveshark 


The night was just starting in that moment, because The XX were ready to play an amazing show. I only regret that they performed their hit Crystalised in a weird slow way that many people didn't like and the audience even expressed their displeasure with some whistles.

Fantasy by The xx on Grooveshark
Crystalised by The xx on Grooveshark


I hadn't enough for that day, so I moved to the main stage where Franz Ferdinand was introducing us to some of the latest hits that surely will appear in their fourth album. Some of these title names were Right Thoughts, Brief Encounters or Fresh Strawberries. But, of course, the outfit from Glasgow also played the "classic ones" Take Me Out and Do You Want To.

Take Me Out by Franz Ferdinand on Grooveshark
Do You Want To by Franz Ferdinand on Grooveshark

Finally, the last group I could see was Japandroids, who were not very happy with the sound problems they found. They started playing a little bit late, but finally it was worth the trouble because they showed one of the most overpowering live performances of the day.

Younger Us by Japandroids on Grooveshark


Friday: Facing The Dilemma

If Thursday was an amazing day, Friday was second to none. Without many hours of sleeping, I started with Bigott (we already introduced him to you, so click here to read the article). His performance was so funny and he made me laugh a lot. He engaged and really worked the public well. Even a fan through an apple at him, he caught it and ate it during the show. Let me tell you that before going to his concert, I'd only listened to his single Cannibal Dinner, but he has so many songs that I like. Bigott actually surprised me positively.

Cannibal Dinner by Bigott on Grooveshark 
Cool Single Weeding by Bigott on Grooveshark


Then, I moved to the ATP stage where Siskiyou was playing. This band from Canada has some kind of charming that sounds great despite that it was hard to listen to their voices (I've some suspicions that there was audio problems at the ATP stage). I have to say that the way they sing reminds me sometimes to ModestMouse. What's your opinion on that?


Never Ever Ever Ever Again by Siskiyou on Grooveshark 
Edit the Sad Parts by Modest Mouse on Grooveshark


At the same place, we waited for the Swedish dream pop and shoegaze outfit I Break Horses. I was very excited because I'm super fan of Swedish bands (and Scandinavian in general), so this was one of my “must-see” at the festival. They basically presented their last work Hearts (2011) and despite the beautiful voice of Maria Lindén, I could hardly listened to her, what made me think that there was definitely something wrong with the sound system in the ATP stage. Anyway, it was nice to see them finally!

Winter Beats by I Break Horses on Grooveshark 
I Kill Your Love, Baby! by I Break Horses on Grooveshark


One of the biggest gigs of the day was The Cure, who performed a three hours (yes, three hours!!) spectacular show. At the beginning, only one hour and a half was planned for this classic band, but their fans claimed they wanted more tunes, so we finally got the longest concert in the whole festival. Of course, we could listen their super-popular songs such as Friday I'm In Love, Boys Don't Cry, Just Like Heaven and many more (even the less popular ones). What is more interesting in listening to this legendary group is that in a short period of time you are able to revive thirty years of music with an heterogenic repertoire that brings a magic sensation of transporting yourself through the time. 

Friday I'm in Love by The Cure on Grooveshark
Boys Don't Cry by The Cure on Grooveshark
Just Like Heaven by The Cure on Grooveshark


After this mythic gig, it was time to see The Drums. I was faced with the dilemma of choosing this band or M83, who was playing at the same time (it was very far away from where I was at that moment). Finally, I chose The Drums, and I did it well because they managed to do a perfect show having the crowd jumping and dancing through well-known hits contained in both of their first two albums. I enjoyed it a lot. One thing I learned in that concert is that one of their top anthems, Best Friend, was dedicated to one of their buddies who was dead (so sad!!).

Best Friend by The Drums on Grooveshark
What You Were by The Drums on Grooveshark


At the end of the day, The Rapture was playing at the main stage. I loved so much seeing them live, with their cocktail of rock, funk and electronic music. They gave an energetic and good performance with their top hits How Deep Is Your Love or In The Graze Of Your Love (OMG, so much love!!). It was already late in the night and time to go home and wait for another day in the festival.

How Deep Is Your Love by The Rapture on Grooveshark 
In The Grace Of Your Love by The Rapture on Grooveshark 


No comments: